The Old Burying Ground, also known as Pioneer Square or Quadra Street Cemetery, includes interments from 1855 to 1873. Since its beginnings, many people have objected to its placement and upkeep, arguing it was too close to residential homes and often the memorial sites were not properly maintained and left to vandals. After being transformed into a park in 1908, only a few monuments remained on-site, and critics of the park's cleanup were upset with the desecration of the burial grounds. Throughout the first half of the twentieth century, little was done to protect and preserve the monuments in the park, and it wasn't until the 1980's when the clean-up and restoration of the monuments and graves were undertaken. Today, Pioneer Square houses grave markers and tombs, all set around seas of grass and old trees. The naval corner contains several monuments and markers dedicated to naval officers of the past. Self-guided walking tours are available on site and more information can be found at the Old Cemeteries Society of Victoria.