The VENUS Camera Platform at Saanich Inlet is a critical component in the VENUS (Victoria Experimental Network Under the Sea) Observatory's quest to gain a better understanding of marine ecology in the Saanich Inlet.
The VENUS Camera Platform sits at a depth of 92m on the ocean floor and provides a frame upon which a range of ocean sensors are attached. Together these sensors help paint a picture of marine life and processes along the seafloor of the Saanich Inlet. The sensors include:
- A high resolution camera capable of capturing both video and photographs of the seabed
- A CTD recorder that measures ocean conductivity (s/m), temperature (*C), depth via pressure (dBar) and calculated values for salinity (psu) and sound velocity (m/s)
- An oxygen sensor to measure dissolved oxygen content along the seafloorA turbidity meter that measures the haziness of the water due to the presence of suspended particles
The VENUS Camera Platform is part of the VENUS Observatory, a cabled undersea laboratory for ocean researchers and explorers. Ocean Networks Canada (ONC) is a not-for-profit at the University of Victoria and it governs both the VENUS and NEPTUNE ocean observatory networks off the coast of Vancouver Island. The observatories gather real-time data, signals, and images that are available online for the public, students, and researchers to explore.
Take a trip to the bottom of the ocean! The public can explore the diverse marine environments off the coast of Vancouver Island by viewing live and recorded video feeds, an endless array of vibrant photos, and direct access to real-time scientific data on the Ocean Networks Canada website. Ocean Networks Canada is dedicated to supporting ocean discovery and technological innovation and is a world-leading scientific research facility. The website, where all of the data is contained, is open to the public 24/7!
Related sites on the CRD Green Map:
- VENUS Saanich Inlet Node
- VENUS Strait of Georgia Central Node
- VENUS Instrument Platform (VIP), Saanich Inlet
- VENUS Saanich Shore Station
- VENUS Forensics Experiment
- VENUS Buoy Profiling System
- VENUS Instrument Platform (VIP), Strait of Georgia Centre
- The societal benefits of Oceans Network Canada (ONC) Observatory
- Why Venus?
- Map of VENUS Observatory
- NEPTUNE Canada - for even more great data, videos, and research in the deep sea, extending beyond the CRD
Please note that the location for the VENUS Camera Platform is approximate.
Photo and video credits: Ocean Networks Canada